W Pvivid Backup Pro provides the ability to migrate the entire MU network like a normal WP site. Currently it only supports the migration of Multisite that uses a subdirectory structure.
- To migrate a WordPress multisite, please make sure that the target site is a new WordPress multisite installation. There is no other specific settings are needed.
- The Wordfence plugin needs to be temporarily deactivated or uninstalled before you start migration, because Wordfence will write some absolute paths in the .htaccess file that may cause problems when replacing the .htaccess file.
- By default, the migration will replace the themes, plugins, uploads, database and/or other files and directories(except the wp-config file) of the target site.
Method 1: Auto Migration
Note: Auto migration can not be used when migrating to local computers. That is becasue the private IP 127.0.0.1 of a localhost can not be reached by an external network. In that case, we would recommend you to use the manual migration as described later.
1. Install WPvivid Backup Pro on both main master websites(Network Admin).
2. Generate a key on the destination website.
3. Return to the source site, go to WPvivid > Auto-Migration page > Paste the key in to the field and click Save.
4. Select the content you want to migrate: Database + Files (WordPress Files), WordPress Files (Exclude Database), Only Database, and Custom Backup. It’s recommended to backup everything if you have no ideas on what you’re excluding.
5. Click Migrate.
After the transfer is complete, on the target site, you will see a success message appears, then you will be all set to restore a WordPress multisite network.
Method 2: Manual Migration
1. Go to the source site > Manual Backup page > Create a backup of the source site manually.
2. Go to the Backups & Restoration page > Localhost or Remote Storage tab depending on the backup location you choose when creating the backup > Click Download button of the backup to download it your computer.
3. On the destination website, go to WPvivid >> Backups & Restore. Select the Upload option and upload the backup file(s)
4. Once done, you will see the newly transferred file has been automatically added to the list of available backups. If it is not, click the Scan uploaded or received backups button to display the backups in the list.